[Gephi-plugins] [Gephi-tests] Welcome

Mathieu Bastian mathieu.bastian at gephi.org
Tue Feb 12 04:56:09 CET 2013

Hi Clement, congrats for your 1st Gephi plugin!

**Sending my answer to the gephi-plugins mailing list instead**

I'm not sure I totally get what is your problem but what I can see is that
your https://github.com/seinecle/alphabeticalsorter repository is not a
fork of the gephi-plugins repository. It should be written "forked from
gephi/gephi-plugins" under your repository name). When you fork and clone
this repository you should have the environment set-up
for developing plugins and have the ability to add modules. When you're
done with coding you simply commit and push your changes. You're pushing
the changes to your fork (if you do git remote -v you should see that
origin refers to your fork, not the original gephi/gephi-plugins
repository) so that should work just fine.

The great benefit with this model comes when we update the platform, and
here is how it works. Lets imagine we release the 0.9 version and therefore
we need to update the gephi-plugins repository with the latest Gephi
modules. On the gephi/gephi-plugins I'll commit the latest modules in the
/platform folder. Plugins developers can get this changes just with a
single command:
> git merge upstream master

That only works if git knows what this 'upstream' is. That should refer to
the gephi-plugins repository. To add this to your fork, simply run the
following command:
> git remote add upstream git://github.com/gephi/gephi-plugins.git

That is what you should have when you do "git remote -v":

origin git at github.com:seneicle/gephi-plugins.git (fetch)
origin git at github.com:seneicle/gephi-plugins.git (push)
upstream  git://github.com/gephi/gephi-plugins.git (fetch)
upstream  git://github.com/gephi/gephi-plugins.git (push)

Does that make sense? Let me know if something doesn't work.

Mathieu