[Gephi-plugins] Preparing the 0.8.2 release

Mathieu Bastian mathieu.bastian at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 08:14:01 CET 2012

Hi Plugins Developers,

I updated the gephi-plugins [1] repository on GitHub with the latest
version of Gephi and Netbeans Platform. The platform is now in its 7.2.1
version and Gephi modules have the 0.8.2 version. We'll be releasing the
0.8.2 version of Gephi fairly soon and we need your help to check the
compatibility of your plugin.

With the introduction of Maven [2], the Gephi development environment has
been greatly modified lately but the way plugins are developed remains the
same. Therefore most of the plugins should be compatible. We did changes
some things thought and you'll need to check that your plugin compiles and
build with the updated version.

*Changes to be aware*
- If you depend on the BusyUtils (UIUtils module), it has been moved to the
UIComponents module.
- If you depend on any library (Processing, JFreeChart, Flamingo, iText,
JavaCSV) you probably depend on one of the "Wrapper" module. Because Maven
has a much better dependency management system we removed most of these
modules and centralized them into two modules: CoreLibraryWrapper and
UILibraryWrapper. If you depend on some wrapper module, you'll probably
need to remove that dependency and add a dependency to CoreLibraryWrapper
or/and UILibraryWrapper. You can find the list of librairies these modules
include here [3] and here [4]. In general, if you depend on any library,
talk to us and we'll find the best solution.

*Update your plugin*
If you haven't made the transition to use GitHub and fork the gephi-plugins
repository it's a good time to start. This is the official and supported
way to develop Gephi plugins.

So to update your fork with the latest version of Gephi and Netbeans
Platform, all you have to do is merge with the master branch:
> git pull upstream master

Then, you can build your plugin in Netbeans or on the command line (this
creates the plugin-release.zip in the build folder).
> and clean
> ant nbms

Another way to test your plugin is simply bu downloading the nightly build
[5], launch it and try to install your plugin.

*Coming next*

A lot of work has been done this summer to bring continuous integration [2]
to the project. The main Gephi source is now built every night and nightly
builds are produced [5] . Next, we would like to have plugins built and
verified in a continuous integration process as well. It means that this
manual process of verifying the compatibility of the your plugin will
eventually disappear  It would work like the following. Our continuous
integration server would compile and build all plugins every night. If
an incompatible change is introduced, we would know right away. The process
would also automatically create the NBMs and upload it to the plugin
center. This would remain optional but if the plugin is compatible from one
version to another the plugin developer will have nothing to worry about.

Also, in a near future, we'll only allow plugins with sources to be
published on gephi.org. If you haven't done that yet, take some time to put
the code on GitHub or anywhere else. We have a village of people on this
mailing list to help you  do that if you need guidance :-)

[1] https://github.com/gephi/gephi-plugins
[2] https://gephi.org/2012/continuous-integration-at-gephi/
[3]
https://github.com/gephi/gephi/blob/master/modules/CoreLibraryWrapper/pom.xml