[Gephi-plugins] Graphviz plugin and other stuff

Gary Briggs chunky at icculus.org
Mon Oct 24 06:23:10 CEST 2011

Earlier today I submitted a blueprint for a graphviz plugin:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/gephi/+spec/graphviz-layout-manager

The idea kinda stuck in my head, so
http://icculus.org/~chunky/stuff/gephi_graphviz/

It works, in so far as I click the "go" button, and nodes are laid out.
But I have a stack of outstanding things/questions, and I'm wondering if
anyone could point me the right direction.

1) I'm not clear how to actually, you know, make a plugin. Butcherwise
shoving it straight into the Gephi code seems suboptimal. I always
dream of my stuff making into trunk of whatever I submit to, but at
least in the meantime I'd like to post it as a plugin. I simply don't
get how to go about starting making a plugin proper.

2) I submitted a bugreport earlier:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gephi/+bug/880601
I don't get what's going on, but it seems that LayoutUI.getSimplePanel()
is never called?

3) It's not clear to me how the layout plugin "Stop" button works; I
click "go", the goAlgo function is called, and the go button changes to
"stop". What's the process by which I could interrupt it and clean up? I
envisage checking some value inside inner loops, and cancelling out if
the value is set?

4) What's the correct way to report issues to the user? Like, if the
graphviz process vomits out some errors, I'd like to report those in a
dialog or something.

Thanks,
Gary (-;