[Gephi-plugins] [gephi-dev] IMPORTANT - Github migration

Mathieu Bastian mathieu.bastian at gephi.org
Fri Nov 4 16:39:35 CET 2011

Hi everyone,

The Github migration is under way and we already updated most of the
documentation on the wiki. If you see some pages still referring to
Launchpad, please let us know or fix it.

I imported all the branches on a separate repository (
https://github.com/gephi/gephi-launchpad-branches/branches) to keep the
main gephi/gephi repository size okay. I'm still trying to figure out why
some branches are not correctly imported. You can see some branches have
literrally no commits in common with the master branch. That is not normal,
something must be wrong when converting the branch from bazaar to git. I'll
continue to investigate.

All answers to your questions together:

* what script converts bzr repositories to git?

I basically used this method:
https://github.com/termie/lp2gh/blob/master/docs/moving_branches.rst

I import the bazaar from launchpad using this command:
git-bzr import --strip_tags lp:~megaterik/gephi/graph_generator
megaterik-graph-generator

Some of the branches, including master had some incorrect commit for git
giving the error "missing space before email". I wrote some script to
rewrite the git history and fix the problem. Then I push the branches to
GitHub.

* Also, is there a way to make github send me an email when a new commit is
created for some branch or an issue is created/changed like launchpad does?

That's a great question. GitHub has this concept of service hooks (
http://help.github.com/post-receive-hooks/) with a lot of third-parties
services consuming the API. One of the default is 'email' so an email is
sent each time someone push to the repository. I entered the gephi-dev
adress for now, we'll see what happens. It think it could be useful to have
these information sent to gephi-dev anyway.

* Since the Gython repo is not a Gephi branch, I should probably do
the migration
by myself, correct?

Yeah, you can simply create a new repository in your github and push the
code. You can try to follow the bzr-git conversion or decide to just
copy-paste the code. It's easier but you'll loose the commit history.

* I assume the launchpad branches being behind the head/trunk is not a big
deal?

Yeah it's fine.

* Also, my blueprints/gephi integration is already up on github, albeit
untouched for awhile.  Is there any way to tie that project to gephi?

There might be a clever way how to make your code a branch of gephi but I'm
not sure how to that. Otherwise you can simply recreate a new branch and
copy-paste the code...

* Sorry for late queastion, but did you consider mercurial?

Yes and it was a valid option. You have Bitbucket which works great for
example. We want the maximum visibility for the project and a smooth
development environment, which Github + Git provides well.

Mathieu