[Gephi-plugins] IMPORTANT - Github migration

Mathieu Bastian mathieu.bastian at gephi.org
Tue Nov 1 23:52:16 CET 2011

Hi all,

With Sebastien and Eduardo we decided that it's time for us to migrate
from Launchpad to Github. This will significantly help us to manage
our code and our developer community.

You can already see the gephi repository here: https://github.com/gephi/gephi

The trunk (the main repository where we work on the next release) has
been already migrated and we are now working on the branches. We need
your help here!

The trunk is the former 0.8 branch and is now called the "master"
branch. Git works in a very similar way compared to Bazaar and also
has branches. If you go to the Launchpad repository
(https://code.launchpad.net/gephi) you'll see a bunch of branches,
mixing branches owned by gephi-team and user-based branches. Github
organizes this much better and still let users work on their own Gephi
branches. We will therefore have two types of branches, which could be
called 'team' and 'user'. A team branch is typically visible in the
list of branches on the gephi project
(https://github.com/gephi/gephi/branches) and contains new features,
Google summer of code projects or whatever we decide to do as a team.
These are typically the branches the Gephi core team contribute to,
including the master branch. The second type of branches are owned by
'users' and contain plug-ins, prototypes or new features not ready to
be put as a 'team' branch. For instance here you can see my own Gephi
branches: https://github.com/mbastian/gephi/branches. It includes the
master branch but also two plug-ins branches I maintain.

We are now in the process of migrating branches. For doing that every
branch owner will need to fork the gephi repository. This is a
one-click action you do when you're on the gephi repository
(https://github.com/gephi/gephi). Here is a more detailed tutorial:

1. If you don't have an account yet, please sign-in on
http://github.com. It's important that you use the same email address
you used on Launchpad. That will automatically link your commits.

2. Go to https://github.com/gephi/gephi

3. Click on 'Fork' on the top of the page. This creates a 'gephi'
repository in your account.

4. That's all. Now we can import your branches.

I have been using some launchpad-to-github scripts to import the code
and bugs from Launchpad to Github and it worked well. I have a script
to import branches as well. Once you have a forked Gephi repository I
can run the script for your branches.
Please let me know as soon as possible what branches you would like to have.

So far I see:

Eduardo:
- lp:~eduramiba/gephi/linkfluence-plugin-0.8beta
- lp:~eduramiba/gephi/bdb_less_memory_test

Yestin:
- lp:~duyi001/gephi/DSNI

Cezary:
- What is your latest branch for the generators plugin?
lp:~gephi.team/gephi/generators

Paul-Antoine
- lp:~pbittner/gephi/parallelLayouts
- lp:~pbittner/gephi/software-analysis

Matt:
- lp:~mgroeninger/gephi/circularlayout

Taras:
- lp:~megaterik/gephi/graph_generator

Raphael:
- lp:~raph-velt/gephi/export-js

Daniel:
lp:~daniel-bernardes/gephi/gephi-0.8a-timeline

phreakocious:
lp:~phreakocious/gephi/httpgraph
lp:~phreakocious/gephi/BalloonTreeLayoutPlugin

Sebastien:
lp:~sebastien.heymann/gephi/mrofl-spigot

Please let me know what is missing here and when you have forked Gephi
on Github.

I'll provide a more detailed guide how to use Github soon. So far the
migration is going very well and we should be done soon. Thanks for
your help!

Mathieu