[Gephi-plugins] clustering plugins and nodes with multiple parents

Chris Esposito chris.esposito at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 23:49:25 CEST 2011

Hello All,

I've recently finished the development of 2 clustering plugins, so I'll be
submitting those shortly. An issue that can arise, both during the execution
of a single algorithm and even more commonly when different algorithms are
applied by the user in sequence, is that clusters may overlap. While this
may not happen in a single run if the clustering algorithm in use during
that run does a partial or complete partitioning of the graph, a different
algorithm that partitions in a different way or isn't partiton-based will
wind up producing groups that overlap others, which means that a node would
be a member of multiple clusters, something that that graph API in Gephi
prohibits. For large networks and large numbers of clusters, even asking the
user to keep track of what cluster a node is or should be in doesn't work
very well, I think.

I've built this multiple-parent capability into other graph systems that
I've developed over the years, but I haven't yet had the time to look into
what's involved in modifying gephi's underlying data structures to support a
node having multiple parents.

Does anybody have a rough order-of-magnitude estimate of how hard this would
be in Gephi?

Thanks,

Chris