[Gephi-plugins] Plugin names/code base questions

Matt Groeninger mgroeninger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 06:11:35 CET 2011

Hi All,

  I don't really understand how I should be naming modules/code name bases.
Can anyone share any thoughts they have?

For the circular layout plugin I called it "CircularLayout" and used a code
name base of org.gephi.layout.plugin.circularlayout.  This seems like it
will keep it clear of any of the name spaces in the core of Gephi.

For fun last night I put together a basic GML exporter (a la
https://fundry.com/feature/28-export-plug-in-gml-file-format).  Since I was
just tinkering to see how the Export API worked I just created a branch
(currently here to start with:
https://code.launchpad.net/~mgroeninger/+junk/GMLexporter) and worked
directly in the "Export Plugin" module.

I assume this won't work to publish via http://gephi.org/plugins.  Does it
make sense to just call it something like "ExportGML" and use a code name
base like org.gephi.io.exporter.plugin.GML?

Or am I missing something completely in the idea of the naming scheme?

Hope everyone's new year is going well,

Matt