[gephi-announce] Gephi 0.8 beta released
mathieu.bastian at gephi.org
Tue Oct 4 19:49:30 CEST 2011
The 0.8 beta <http://gephi.org/2011/gephi-0-8-beta-released/> version of
Gephi has just been released and is available for Windows, Max OS X and
This release focus on new features for both users and developers, with
exciting new plug-ins possibilities. Our long-term focus hasn't changed:
performance, usability and modularity and we will continue to deliver new
features to the platform. As we are thinking about the 0.9 roadmap, please
join the discussion on the forum <http://forum.gephi.org> and tell us what
you would like to have improved.
*Features highlight 0.8 beta*
* Dynamic Ranking: Ranking now has an 'auto-apply' feature. It's no longer
needed to click on 'Apply' to update Ranking, it's done automatically! Very
useful for dynamic networks (i.e. longitudinal networks).
* PNG Export: Create high-resolution network images with all the
customization available in Preview. You can even create transparent
* New Preview: Completely rewrite of the Preview bringing plug-ins
extensibility and much awaited features. You can now set edge/node opacity
or add text outline. The latter dramatically improves label readability.
* Dynamic Metrics: Analyze network properties over time with the new dynamic
statistics, including Dynamic Degree, Dynamic Node Count, Dynamic Edge Count
and Dynamic Clustering Coefficient.
* ForceAtlas2 layout algorithm: Mathieu Jacomy, our layout algorithm
rock-star took the best of the ForceAtlas algorithm and made it scale to
much larger networks. It's fast, tunable and profits from multi-core
* Data Laboratory Node Merge: Select multiple nodes, right click and select
'Merge nodes' to merge several nodes into one. You can customize how the row
data are merged (e.g average, max, set null).
* Three new filters: K-core, inter and intra partition. Inter/Intra
partition filters can be used to highlight links between different
communities or the contrary.
* SQLite support: The database importer now supports SQLite.
* Time interval support: The database importer can now use 'start' and 'end'
columns to import longitudinal networks.
* New localizations: Go to Tools > Languages to change to the new Japanese
or Portuguese (Brazilian) locales.
* Complete list here: http://wiki.gephi.org/index.php/Gephi_Releases
Thanks to the community for reporting bugs! Consult the 45+ list of bug
fixed in this release on the release notes <
Gephi is now released in the dual license CDDL + GNU GPLv3. We abandon the
GNU AGPL to offer new opportunities to reuse and integrate parts of Gephi in
a full Open Source way. The dual license system means the possibility to
choose to apply either the CDDL or the GNU GPLv3 when Gephi source code is
integrated to a derivative work. When modified, original files of Gephi
should always be published publicly so that the community benefit from the
improvements. However, the CDDL license does not require to publish the
whole work, so you can build commercial applications for free using Gephi
The CDDL is a license created by Sun and approved by the Open Source
Initiative. It is business-friendly. Read the Legal FAQs <
http://gephi.org/about/legal/faq/> to learn more, and ask questions on the
Checkout the latest plug-ins <http://gephi.org/plugins/> released by the
community! As usual after a major release, we are reviewing all plug-ins in
the next cuple of days for 0.8 compatibility. Your favorite plug-ins will
reappear soon in the Gephi Plugins Center.
Plug-ins developers may be interested to read the changes done in the Gephi
APIs since last release <http://gephi.org/docs/api/>. As Ranking and Preview
have been entirely rewritten it opens new exciting plug-ins capabilities.
Checkout how to write new preview renderers <
http://wiki.gephi.org/index.php/HowTo_write_a_preview_renderer> or extend
data laboratory <
Visit the Plugins Portal for more information <
We are strongly supporting plug-ins development. Don't hesitate to ask for
help on the Plugins mailing list <
http://gephi.org/mailman/listinfo/gephi-plugins> or on the forum.
We are updating the Gephi Toolkit <http://gephi.org/toolkit> to include
latest changes and will release a new version very soon. Demos and tutorials
will be updated as well on the Toolkit Portal <
- New Features in Gephi 0.8 Beta Teasing
- A New Best Friend: Gephi for Large-scale Networks
- GraphGL, network visualization with WebGL
- Translate Gephi in your language
- New Tutorial: Layouts in Gephi
- Using Gephi with Google Analytics to visualize keywords and landing pages
- Nodus Labs joins the Gephi Consortium
To all who spread the word and join the Gephi community, thank you!
Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/gephi>, Facebook <
http://www.facebook.com/groups/gephi/> or LinkedIn <
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the gephi-announce