29 March 2012
The latest version of Gephi has been released, download it for Windows, Mac OS and Linux platforms. This release delivers a complete new timeline component with many awaited features. The timeline is at the heart of our dynamic network analysis (longitudinal networks) effort at Gephi and this feature is the result of last year’s Google Summer of Code. It gives the ability to explore a network over time in a very powerful way.
New Timeline with embedded sparkline. Example with a Twitter user network.
The timeline new features include animation (play button), custom bounds and embedded sparkline. In the previous Gephi version we added the ability to run metrics over time. For instance, one can calculate the average degree over time or simply the number of nodes (like in the example above). With the new timeline it’s possible to display a dynamic attribute directly in the component. For example if you’re looking at a Twitter network you can plot the total number of tweets as a sparkline.
This release also ships with three new languages: Czech, Chinese and Russian. Special Thanks to our awesome localization team.
We just started the Google Summer of Code with exciting projects! We’re looking for talented students this summer (apply here). The team will also work on the next major release of Gephi (0.9). If you have ideas or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to express then on our forum or through GitHub issues. Our roadmap is open and most ideas comes from users’ experience.
Because it’s a major release, changes are not deployed through the AutoUpdate, you need to download and install the new version. Plug-ins also need to be checked for compatibility. They will reappear on the Plugin Center in the coming days, as they are verified. Thanks for your patience.
Exciting new timeline with animation, custom bounds settings and embedded spakline. The timeline interval and bounds can now be set manually by the user. By hitting the play button the interval moves automatically. All parameters can be configured. The timeline date support has been completely rewritten, now showing dates and periods in a readable way.
Compare networks over time or with different filters is now easier as Ranking lets you decide whether the scale should be local or global. In local scale, sizes and colors depend on the visible sub-graph. In global scale (set by default) they depend on the whole graph, thus allowing comparisons over time.
Louvain Modularity (Community detection) adds edge weight support and resolution setting.
New and Noteworthy
* Better Preview performance when hidden edges (good for large graphs)
* Self-loop filter. Remove self loops in the graph.
New localization (Go to Tools > Languages)
* Chinese (China)
* Exception when deserializing a preview preset (Issue 554)
* ClassCastException when saving a gephi file after PDF export (Issue 552)
* Cannot Preserve Z-Coordinate in GEXF exporter (Issue 547)
* Gephi won’t start on Mac OS X Lion because of a missing JAWT library (Issue 542)
* Add a local/global scale button to Ranking (Issue 541)
* Spreadsheet import: edge weight not imported (Issue 540)
* NOT operator wrong with topology filters (Issue 539)
* Multiple partition filters not named: cannot tell them apart (Issue 537)
* AttributeContollerImpl should be renamed to AttributeControllerImpl (Issue 530)
* Timeline – Set Custom Bounds does not support DATETIME (Issue 529)
* Data Laboratory – Dynamic Attributes Edit function resets values (Issue 528)
* DL exporter fix (Issue 525)
* Validator of MySQL’s “host” field (Issue 521)
* Edge/Node attributes don’t support datetime format (Issue 518)
* Directed Graph cluster coefficient provides incorrect values in certain situations (Issue 517)
* NullPointer in GUI when defining range Filters (Issue 516)
* datalab: empty column fails edge csv import (Issue 515)
* updateDimensions in PreviewController does not take into account node size (Issue 514)
* Overview’s graph area does not redraw edges automatically (Issue 513)
* c+p correction: HITS hub chart was repeated twice in output. (Issue 510)
* database import from Postgres does not handle node color attribute (Issue 506)
* Incorrect Teradata JDBC url (Issue 505)
* [Datalab] Duplicated nodes on import spreadsheet (Issue 498)
* [Datalab] Failing silently to load attribute values on import spreadsheet (Issue 497)
* Attribute Columns Property editors don’t support dynamic numbers (Issue 494)
* Arrows not hidden when edges hidden on Preview (Issue 493)
* Some text appears garbled when loaded from a project file (Issue 488)
* Exception when adding a new Perspective plugin development (Issue 486)
* NullPointer Exception with Edge Labels (Issue 478)
* Filter range does not filter if min == max (Issue 477)
* Heatmap Tool Sometimes Doesn’t Work (Issue 472)
* deleting a field in data lab yields an error (Issue 468)
* Email imports can’t be cancelled (Issue 466)
* Invalid XML character error when loading a gephi file (Issue 465)
* Range Slider writes N/A if the min and max values are the same (Issue 464)
* datalab: exception on hiding a column used to sort the table (Issue 454)
* Can’t build without Netbeans installed (Issue 452)
* Auto-refresh not updated after changing the spline (Issue 448)
* AttributeRangeFilter returns main graph when nothing matches filter (Issue 435)
* Timeline need more precision when dealing with dates (Issue 202)
* Degree Filter Not Filtering as Subfilter in Tookit (Issue 69)
* UnsatisfiedLinkError on startup on Mac OS X (Issue 44)
Last november we migrated our source code from Launchpad to GitHub and have seen an increase of activity in plugin development. We also simplified the environment and wrote more documentation how to get started. We created a dedicated repository on GitHub and compiled a list of more than 20 different code examples on the Gephi Plugins Bootcamp.
Feel free to reach to us if you are willing to organize events (meetups, workshops, hackathon, etc.), we will support them.